Job Seekers!Announce your availability and submit your resume to hundreds of Employers that visit this site. Employers can contact you directly as soon as a suitable position becomes available. Post your Resume to Photonics Jobs!
Go back to the Job List
Technical Director – Naval C4 Line of BusinessPosted by: DRS Technologies
Posted date: 2013-Feb-11
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
DRS Technologies, Inc. is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. Focused on defense technology, we develop, manufacture and support a broad range of systems for mission critical and military sustainment requirements, as well as homeland security.
Headquartered in Arlington, VA, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Finmeccanica S.p.A. which employs more than 70,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture which rewards performance. For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at www.drs.com.
DRS Integrated Defense Systems and Solutions is a best-in-class developer of advanced electronic systems and other military technologies to support the warfighter and peacekeeper. Headquartered in Rockville, Md., the company is composed of seven lines of business with annual revenues of $1.4 billion. Our more than 3,700 employees around the globe include a number of committed DRS IDSS staff working side-by-side in theater with American and Allied soldiers. DRS IDSS provides products, services and systems integration in the areas of intelligence and sensor technologies, security, cyber, sonar, communications, electronic warfare, training systems, satellite communications, avionics, control systems and unmanned technologies.
Job Location Gaithersburg, MD
Title: Technical Director – Naval C4 Line of Business
Key Duties and Responsibilities
· Serve as the key technical authority for opportunities and issues. Create competitive differentiation by ensuring the team has best-in-class technical resources to innovate, help win business and solve challenging problems.
· Support the customer community as key technical interface for associated programs and initiatives.
· Provide oversight for the execution of research, development, test and evaluation efforts.
· Foster the most effective and efficient engineering approaches possible to service the business and its customers. Champion architectures that are sufficiently flexible and adaptable to meet the emerging requirements of the marketplace.
· Coordinate resources, technical guidance and budget accountability to support proposal, design, development, and support activities.
· Lead key, high visibility engineering activities including: customer presentations and demonstrations; technology evaluations; solution generation to balance cost, schedules, and technical constraints; and design reviews to ensure optimal approaches and prudent risk mitigation steps.
· Provide coaching, conflict resolution and corrective action as necessary to resolve issues related to performance.
· Drive make/partner choices for different aspects of technical capability to ensure we have flexibility when needed and access to the right technology for some solutions required by our customers.
· Operate within the DRS management expectations which include: a willingness to take risks and delegate; acceptance of responsibility and accountability; being a coach and mentor; a collaborator across departments; an obligation to speak up when not on board; and an evangelist of our business direction.
· Participate in developing and managing a multi-year product line roadmap and strategy in a collaborative, multi-function, team environment that includes Program Management, Business Development, Finance, Engineering, and Manufacturing.
· Technical background related to system engineering developing, testing, and supporting military systems
· Experience in integration of shipboard C4 systems
· Experience in applying COTS based hardware and software subsystems for use in the rugged and high reliability environments required by naval platforms.
· Experience in apply advanced radar technologies for use in shipboard volume search radars and ground surveillance radars
· Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree (MS preferred) in Engineering.
· Proven track record of at least 15 years’ experience with at least 8 years in related defense industries.
· US Citizenship with the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.
· Demonstrated high degree of initiative, creative problem solving, attention to detail, and coolness under fire.
· Strong communications skills: succinct and to the point in one-on-one, small group and public speaking events for a variety of content (e.g. presentations, proposals, strategies, etc.). Ability to translate complex information into content that is easily understood.
· Demonstrated basic business acumen.
· Proven track record of team building, leadership and high achievement.
· Proven track record of playing a key role in managing products through the entire lifecycle.
· Experience operating in a process-driven environment at Capability Maturity Model Integrated (CMMI) Level 3 or higher in Systems, Hardware, and Software.
· Demonstrated awareness of the business value and implications of the proposed solutions to customers and in particular markets.
· Experience successfully operating in a matrix environment with multiple simultaneous complex projects.
· Familiarity with MIL-STD requirements associated with development, verification/validation, and fielding of shipboard equipment.
Technical Domain Knowledge/Application Experience
· Net-centric combat management systems based on distributed system architectures
· IP based communications and sensor data distribution
· Familiarity with naval systems including Fire Control Systems (FCS), Electronic Support Measures, Tactical Data Links (TDL), and Navigation.
· Phase array Transmit/Receive Modules and associated fabrication, packaging and thermal management techniques
· Phase array Beam-forming Networks and associated signal processing
· Low probability of Intercept (LPI) radar techniques and applications
DRS is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital or veteran status, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law.